I’ve lived in Newfoundland for 20 years now, and attending The Gathering Festival in Burlington, NL last weekend...
I absolutely loved my stay at the HI Trinity – Skerwink Hostel this weekend in beautiful Port Rexton. I had planned on visiting the area over the summer to check out all the touristy nooks on the Bonavista Peninsula, but when you’re travelling solo, shelling out $150+ a night at a B&B or hotel just doesn’t make sense, so I put the idea on the back burner. But when I saw an availability at the hostel during the Roots, Rants and Roars festival, I jumped on the opportunity.
I actually prefer hostels to hotels because I enjoy meeting fellow travellers at the communal breakfast table and feeling like I’m a part of the backpacking community. And I certainly got that feeling while staying here. My hosts, Martha and Gavin, were lovely folks who were passionate about the hostel and the part they played in the tourism industry. They run the Skerwink hostel like a family home and you are welcomed and treated like family during your stay.
While I normally stay in a dorm style room, this trip called for a private room that had a Queen sized bed, closet with a dresser, towels and a spectacular view out of the bedroom window. They also have private rooms that accommodate 3/4 people (two adults and two kids could easily fit in the 3 person room), and two dormitory style rooms (one with an ensuite). Some hostels are ‘party’ spots, but HI Skerwink is a place anyone can stay. There were families with small kids, couples and solo travellers there while I visited. If you don’t need all the often pointless bells and whistles of a hotel, then I highly recommend calling the hostel home while you’re visiting the Bonavista Peninsula.
Plus, I awoke to the smell of freshly baked bread and coffee on Saturday morning. When would you ever get to say that in a hotel?
Cheers Martha and Gavin for putting your heart and soul into making this such an inviting spot for backpackers to experience this corner of Newfoundland. I’ll be back again soon!
Visit https://skerwinkhostel.com to book your next stay!
The Good Stuff
- Dormitory rooms are $29 in the low season & $39 in high season
- Family rooms (sleeps 3) are $74 in the low season & $89 in high season
- Queen room (sleeps 2) is $59 in the low season & $69 in high season
- All rooms come with all free wifi, linens, towels, and a light continental breakfast of homemade bread, and fresh fruit.
- Guests also have access to all hostel facilities, including shared lounge, kitchen, bathrooms, dining area, and outdoor garden and patio.
- There is parking for 5 in front of the house
- Within walking distance to Port Rexton Brewing